If you’re having trouble connecting quick couplers on your machinery, equipment, or skid steer machines, it may be due to built-up pressure in the lines. This is most often the case when your quick coupling is difficult to connect, although connect under pressure hydraulic couplers provide a solution to this problem.
Contractors and machine operators often encounter a situation where hydraulic pressure gets locked up inside the implement after disconnection from the machine. When machine operators attempt to hook up their skid steer implement, and the hydraulic quick couplers simply will not push together, no matter how hard you try, this is probably because of trapped pressure on the implement side. When this occurs, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to quick-connect the coupler again without loosening it to bleed off the pressure.
This is time-consuming and frustrating, causing added machine downtime, which hinders efficient operations and creates many other unsafe consequences.
Consequences of Connecting Hydraulic Couplers Under Pressure
Attempting to connect or disconnect hydraulic quick couplers under pressure poses serious safety risks. Connect under pressure solutions can ensure quick and safe connections. Some of the most serious consequences when attempting to connect under pressure include:
- Injuries incurred by forcing connections when residual pressure is present
- Prevention of connection and continuing to operate machinery and equipment
- Downtime of machinery and equipment when connections cannot be made
Quick couplers designed specifically to quick connect under pressure eliminate this frustration and added steps, improving worker safety and efficiency. There are two options to prevent this from happening.
Relieve the Pressure Prior to Quick Release
The first solution is to always relieve the pressure prior to disconnecting the skid steer implement. To do this, you must turn off the machine, place the key only in the ignition, release the parking brake and make sure that the entire area around your skid loader is clear. You can then release the built-up pressure by moving the loader levers from inside the cab. Some newer models provide a way to bleed the pressure from the outside of the cab.
This option of bleeding the pressure prior to disconnecting any implements will usually work and allow you to reconnect quick couplings without any problem. If the attachment gets bumped around, however, it may cause the machine’s hydraulic system to lock up again. If this happens and you are still wasting time trying to quick-connect your couplers under pressure, consider the second option.
Utilize Connect under Pressure Hydraulic Quick Couplers
Option two for solving the problem of a hydraulic quick connect system locking up is to use connect-under-pressure hydraulic couplers in the first place. Quick couplers designed to connect under pressure are a lifesaver for operators of skid steer and agricultural equipment. No longer must machine operators be stuck out in the elements, trying to relieve pressure to reconnect quick couplers.
Stucchi Offers Connect under Pressure Hydraulic Couplers
Stucchi is recognized worldwide for delivering hydraulic quick-connect solutions to many industrial applications. We offer a vast product line of quick couplers designed for nearly any hydraulic application as well as offering custom designed solutions. Our problem-solving ability is second to none as we strive to improve hydraulic applications with cost-efficient, safe, and reliable quick-connect and quick-release solutions.
Stucchi offers hydraulic quick couplings designed to quick connect under pressure for improved safety, efficiency and equipment performance. Some of our most popular connect-under-pressure hydraulic coupler solutions include:
- APM and A-HD – The APM flat face quick coupler is designed to relieve pressure within itself without leakage due to the flat face design and provide easy connection under residual pressure by hand. The A-HD provides easy connection under pressure by hand without releasing fluid into the environment due to an internal valving system.
- VEP, VEPHD, VEPHDL – Our VEP series of threaded flat-face quick couplers provide a simple yet extremely effective solution for quick connect under pressure applications. The VEP series is a threaded flat-face coupler that features a patented internal valve to allow quick connection and disconnect in high-pressure processes. The flat face design promotes no-leak performance, eliminating contamination of hydraulic circuits and the environment. The thread-to-connect design prevents unwanted disconnection and reduces excessive wear and tear. The VEP is compatible with a heavier-duty version, the VEPHD, which provides the same leak-free, quick-connect solution under pressure in a coupler manufactured with a higher grade of steel and QPQ plating. Also compatible is the VEPHDL, with the same benefits featuring a failsafe, locking mechanism.
- VP – The VP Series threaded flat-face coupler is a popular connect-under-pressure solution with an auto-locking sleeve that provides positive secondary retention in hydraulic circuits with high residual pressure, trapped pressure, and applications subjected to high-pressure impulses.
- Saturn Block – The Saturn block features a relief system, is interchangeable with ISO 16028 quick couplers and is a direct field replacement for many pressurized quick connect systems.
Stucchi also offers a wide selection of hydraulic quick couplers, adapters, and auxiliary kits ideal for various skid steer, excavators, and mobile equipment, as well as industrial equipment and processes. Stucchi offers a wide selection of quick couplings and hydraulic solutions ideal for all types of machinery and equipment.
Stucchi offers custom-designed solutions for challenging configurations from skilled hydraulic engineers with proven problem-solving abilities. Our proven case studies are a testament to our commitment to improving your overall business operations with cost-efficient, reliable hydraulic solutions. Contact us with any questions and for hydraulic solutions with connect under pressure hydraulic couplers.