Construction and demolition contractors use a hydraulic thumb for excavators and backhoes to simplify many heavy lifting and moving tasks.
The hydraulic thumb is a versatile attachment that can easily pick up bulky materials such as big rocks, debris, trees and logs with precision. The hydraulic thumb for backhoes, excavators and mini-excavators are easy to control and open and close with speed and accuracy.
Hydraulic thumbs for excavators provide added flexibility over mechanical models and prove more efficient when using the thumb and bucket frequently. The hydraulic thumb provides greater range of motion often up to 180°. This allows the operator to pick and place objects with increased versatility and load control.
Considerations When Selecting and Mounting Hydraulic Thumbs
There are many considerations when choosing the right hydraulic thumb for excavator applications and when mounting with the most reliable auxiliary hydraulics. Mounting styles affect performance. A hydraulic pin-on thumb, for example, maintains the relationship with the rotation of the bucket and is designed to match the radius of the bucket tip and width.
Some considerations when selecting the right hydraulic thumb include:
- Tips between the bucket teeth – are they replaceable?
- Intersecting tips help to pick up fine materials
- Thumb profile and teeth spacing should suit the application
- Bushings should also be replaceable
- Hardened alloy pins
- Consider the thickness and types of steel used in the thumb manufacture. Should be AR400 or QT100 for abrasion and wear resistance
- Cylinder geometry should provide strong leverage with a good range of motion
- Ability to flip the cylinder to change port positions
- Cylinder pressure ratings and bore stroke
- Mechanical lock improves safety when parking for extended periods
- Auxiliary hydraulics which should include a 45° hydraulic adapter to protect all hydraulic hoses from damage along with heavy duty auxiliary quick couplers
Auxiliary Plumbing Solutions for Hydraulic Thumbs
It can be challenging when mounting and plumbing a hydraulic thumb for excavators and mini-excavators. The rotation and flexibility are great for achieving high efficiency and meeting production requirements. This rotation can cause problems, however, if the thumb comes into contact with hydraulic hoses. There is a risk of breaking off the auxiliary hydraulic hoses which creates safety and environmental issues as well as impacting productivity.
There is a better solution than the conventional straight line hose connections, which work great for almost any other excavator attachment. Stucchi partners with demolition contractors and equipment dealers to provide a plumbing solution with a 45° adapter. By using a 45° adapter with our heavy-duty, threaded hydraulic quick couplers you can ensure a safe and efficient application.
Stucchi partners with an equipment dealer who automatically incorporates the 45° adapter with our heavy duty couplers, the VEPHDL, to provide added value to their customers. This prevents the possibility of the excavator thumb snapping hydraulic lines and keeps them out of harm’s way. This innovative hydraulic solution by Stucchi improves productivity and safety while preventing downtime and contamination.
Stucchi is recognized worldwide as a leading provider of hydraulic solutions. We offer a wide selection of hydraulic quick couplers as well as provide custom designed product solutions. Contact Stucchi with any questions on excavator auxiliary hydraulics and the best way to plumb your hydraulic thumb for excavators.