Quick couplings are used in a variety of sectors from agriculture to oil and gas extraction, Earth moving to road transportation and are critical in a large range of industrial applications such as chemical and food processing sectors. The design and construction of quick couplings must take into consideration a wide variety of factors and operating conditions to guarantee high levels of quality and safety over the complete product line.
This is why Stucchi has been developing cutting-edge hydraulic solutions for almost 60 years. We fully satisfy the requirements and standards in all sectors in which quick couplings are fundamental components for the daily operations and success of a company. The high quality of Stucchi components improves performance and prevents accidents that may potentially lead to economic, human or environmental harm.
One of the most crucial aspects in the manufacture of quick couplings is an assessment of their exposure to corrosion. This incremental damage to the component varies according to the environment of the application ranging from those in which the damage occurs very slowly to those in which the process is particularly aggressive and rapid.
Low to High Corrosive Environments
Corrosion may be identified from low to high corrosive environments:
- Low corrosion: there are no particular environmental conditions and the hydraulic fluids used, if kept free of contamination, do not provoke damage to circuits
- Medium corrosion: related to the fluid used such as in the case of cooling systems that use water-based solutions
- High corrosion: in these conditions, quick couplings must withstand a hostile environment as in the case of off-shore oil platforms
Materials which Provide Corrosion Resistance
Three materials are mainly used in the manufacture of quick couplings to meet these different conditions:
- Carbon steel: this is the most widely used metal in quick couplings. It provides a good balance between technical and commercial characteristics and excels in low-corrosion applications
- Brass: easy to work with and has good resistance to medium-level corrosive fluids
- Stainless steel: this material is widespread in everyday life, but in the field of quick couplings it is mainly used in high corrosion applications. It is extremely resistant and durable, making it the top choice for shipbuilding and offshore platforms sectors
Stucchi Offers Corrosion Resistant Materials and Treatments
Stucchi offers quick couplings in corrosion resistant materials and provides protective treatments including:
- Chrome III: applied to carbon steel, this is the most common form of treatment. This is a surface galvanising treatment using zinc and chromium, which significantly increases resistance to corrosion
- ZincNickel: an alternative to Chrome 3, this is a surface galvanizing treatment using a special zinc alloy that improves resistance to corrosion
- QPQ: quench polish quench heat treatment that combines surface hardness of the couplings and good resistance to corrosion
Stucchi is committed to continual research and development to guarantee the high quality of our final quick coupling product. These corrosion resistant materials and treatments are a direct result of that commitment. Contact us to learn more about our high quality quick couplings designed with the right material for your environment.
This post first appeared here: https://www.stucchigroup.com/en/quick-couplings-different-materials-for-different-environments/