Aerospace Hydraulic GSE: Maintenance and Troubleshooting Part II – Troubleshooting Checklist
In the case of maintaining aerospace GSE, a good defense is the best offense and preventing contaminants from entering the hydraulic system in the first place is the goal of hydraulic GSE preventive maintenance.
Preventing Contamination in Hydraulic GSE Equipment
In Aerospace Hydraulic GSE: Maintenance and Troubleshooting Part I, we covered the types of hydraulic GSE equipment and the various sources of contamination that can occur. In Part II, we’ll cover what you can do to prevent contamination in hydraulic ground service equipment in addition to using top quality hydraulic quick couplers.
Use Coupler Protectant Caps
Be sure to use quick coupler protectant caps or plugs and make sure they are in good operating condition and only removed for servicing. Make sure that any air filter is not saturated which can allow contaminants to enter the reservoir.
Monitoring fluid regularly is important to make sure your fluid meets required specifications as well as component manufacturer recommendations. Regular monitoring allows you to make adjustments to preventive maintenance programs as necessary to keep any contamination levels within an acceptable range without incurring excessive expenses.
Various types of fluids are used in aircraft today, making it necessary to take extra precaution to keep all fluid types isolated. Engine oils, anti-icing fluids, phosphate ester and petroleum-based hydraulic fluids all require different wetted materials in hydraulic aerospace GSE equipment. Fluid type identification placards should be visible on all units and the same GSE equipment should never be used for more than one type of fluid.
If contamination with a foreign fluid occurs, all affected components must be thoroughly cleaned and dried prior to reusing or the contaminated components should be replaced.
Hydraulic GSE Maintenance and Troubleshooting Checklist
Part of a thorough GSE preventive maintenance plan includes knowing the condition of all fluids and components and maintaining an acceptable contamination level on operating components within OEM recommendations. The following maintenance and troubleshooting checklist will help to keep your aerospace hydraulic GSE equipment in top working condition:
- Inspect all quick disconnect couplings and protectant plugs for damage or leaks, repair or replace as necessary.
- Check the fluid filler cap for good operating conditions, replace if necessary.
- Inspect all internal and external hoses for blistering, cuts or worn areas that can leak fluid and replace damaged hoses.
- Inspect all indicator lights for proper operation.
- Inspect cooling fan for proper operation.
- Replace the desiccant element / air filter regularly. A silica gel desiccant element will turn pink once saturated.
- Check system pressure relief valve based on OEM recommendations.
- Check the condition of fluids with laboratory analysis periodically or with a portable monitor. Dehumidify and filter to achieve specified levels to OEM recommendations. Replace fluid as needed.
- Replace fluid filters on a regular schedule based on predetermined criteria such as operating hours or with fluid samples.
- Verify performance of hydraulic pumps based on OEM recommendations.
- Inspect interior of reservoir for visible buildup of silt or foreign materials. Drain and clean before refilling with new fluid.
- Check fluid levels of reservoir operating temperature and fill as necessary.
- Operate the system and purge any air that may be entrapped.
- Circulate at various pressures and flows.
Following this checklist will help to prolong optimum operating life of aerospace GSE equipment and will help to identify potential issues and problems. Following a meticulous preventive maintenance schedule will help to prevent contamination and costly equipment damage. In addition to preventive maintenance and timely repairs, using hydraulic quick disconnect couplings designed for high pressure aerospace applications will help to prevent contamination and equipment damage.
Stucchi’s Hydraulic Solutions for Aerospace GSE Equipment
Stucchi offers a wide selection of hydraulic quick disconnect couplings that meet the demands of aerospace GSE equipment. We cater your hydraulic solutions to meet your specific requirements and OEM recommendations. Our threaded flat face quick couplers are proven in high pressure, demanding applications. The thread to connect design prevents premature wear and brinelling and prevents accidental disconnection. Our flat face design eliminates leaks upon quick disconnect to prevent contamination of the hydraulic system and the environment.
Our stainless steel hydraulic fittings stand up to extreme temperatures and pressures while maintaining optimum fluid flow. Multi-coupling plates allow for quick and easy quick connect and disconnect of multiple lines with one movement. Stucchi offers various multi-plate solutions with either the same or different size of couplings and the same or various types of media such as hydraulic fluid, electric or pneumatic lines. Eliminate the risk of cross-contamination and ensure reliable, locking connection that prevents unwanted disconnection and contamination.
Stucchi’s hydraulic specialists customize your hydraulic quick connect and disconnect solution to meet your specific needs and maximize your operating efficiencies. We follow a strict quality policy as part of our ISO9001:2015 certification and provide total customer satisfaction through quality products and service. Contact us with any questions and to learn more about maintaining and troubleshooting aerospace hydraulic GSE equipment.